Definition of anisotropic in English:
1(Of an object or substance) having a physical property which has a different value when measured in different directions. An example is wood, which is stronger along the grain than across it. Often contrasted with isotropic.
- In the general case, anisotropic substances will show colours, the interference colours; but on rotation through 360° they go black, or into extinction, four times.
- Coriolis flowmeters using fibers and anisotropic material to control selected vibrational flowmeter characteristics
- Most crustal rocks of interest to exploration geophysics are either inherently anisotropic or behave as anisotropic materials when sampled by seismic waves.
1.1(Of a property or phenomenon) varying in magnitude according to the direction of measurement: electron scattering is anisotropic
More example sentences
- The magnitude of the observed anisotropic flow effect is sensitive to the degree of thermalization at the collision's earliest moments.
- The simulations were performed with anisotropic pressure coupling, to 1 bar independently in x, y, and z directions, which allowed the area per lipid to fluctuate during the simulation.
- We also calculate the loading force, the average pressure on the capsid's walls, and the anisotropic pressure profile within the capsid.
- Example sentences
- The distal portion of this zone expands anisotropically, similar to regions of the wild-type apex periphery, which contact older flower primordia.
- The pore water pressure as well as the stress-strain response of an anisotropically consolidated clay specimen under undrained shearing was significantly affected by the initial stress ratio.
- Ligand binding to proteins, enzyme catalysis, self-aggregation of colloids, and polymerization are examples of diffusion-mediated processes involving anisotropically reactive species.
- Example sentences
- Foliation anisotropy caused bending to take place locally by folding about an inclined hinge in the limbs of a pre-existing synform, which tightened during the deformation.
- It seems that the contact between augen gneiss and metasediments represents a strong mechanical anisotropy along which the basal thrust of the Zermatt-Saas zone developed.
- Frequency domain anisotropy was measured by exciting the sample with the amplitude-modulated light polarized vertically.
Definition of anisotropic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan