- An object or design resembling a cross but having a loop instead of the top arm, used in ancient Egypt as a symbol of life.More example sentences
- The ankh, the Egyptian symbol for eternal life, is very similar to that of the cross revered by Christians (especially in the form of the Coptic cross), itself also a symbol for eternal life.
- The ankh is an ancient Egyptian symbol carried around by the Egyptian gods, normally signifying the ability to give or take life.
- Under the left eye, there appeared to be a small ankh, Egyptian symbol for eternal life, which was also colored black.
late 19th century: from Egyptian, literally 'life, soul'.
More definitions of ankhDefinition of ankh in:
- The US English dictionary