A heavily built quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur of the Cretaceous period, armoured with bony plates.
- Infraorder Ankylosauria, order Ornithischia: several genera, in particular Ankylosaurus
More example sentences
- The ankylosaurs were heavily armoured dinosaurs, 2 to 10 meters long, quadrupedal, slow moving, and fed on swampy soft vegetation.
- Skeletons range from twelve-foot remains of the armored dinosaurs known as ankylosaurs, with almost every piece of bony plate intact, to two-inch skeletons of early mammals, complete down to their fragile, microscopic ear bones.
- These were the fragmentary remains of an armored dinosaur, an ankylosaur.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Ankylosaurus, from Greek ankulos (see ankylosis) + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of ankylosaur in:
- The US English dictionary