- A small, mainly arboreal American lizard with a throat fan that (in the male) is typically brightly coloured. Anoles have some ability to change colour.
More example sentences
- Genus Anolis, family Iguanidae: numerous species
- Check out your local pet shop and look into anoles, chameleons, and skinks, among many others.
- Just six months later the anoles were almost exclusively tree-dwelling, and longer-legged lizards had died in disproportionate numbers.
- Trunk-ground anoles possess long hindlimbs that result in high-speed locomotion, but impair movement on narrow perches, presumably because of the difficulty of maintaining the lizard's center of mass directly over the narrow branch.
early 18th century: from Carib.
More definitions of anoleDefinition of anole in:
- The US English dictionary