(also anopheles mosquito)
Definition of anopheles in English:
A mosquito of a genus which is particularly common in warmer countries and includes the mosquitoes that transmit the malarial parasite to humans. Compare with culex.
- Genus Anopheles, subfamily Anophelinae, family Culicidae
- Of the thousands of mosquito types, only the genus anopheles transmits malaria to humans.
- Millions of people die each year from malaria, which is transmitted through the bite of the anopheles mosquito.
- Among a dozen mosquito types in Milan, experts are keeping a close eye out for the anopheles mosquito which is capable of transmitting malaria.
- Example sentences
- Both culicine and anopheline mosquitoes can now be transformed, and genetic constructs that block the development of malaria parasites in transformed mosquitoes have been produced.
- Intriguingly, the bias observed here was restricted to culicines, suggesting that loss from these taxa occurs at a higher rate than from anophelines, despite the fact that culicine genomes are up to eight times larger.
- During a single feeding bout, lasting 4 to 5 min, a female anopheline mosquito can increase mass by more than 200%.
Pronunciation: /əˈnɒfɪlʌɪn/ /əˈnɒfɪliːn/adjective& noun
Definition of anopheles in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan