An order of insects that comprises the sucking lice. Also called Siphunculata. See also Phthiraptera.
- Up to date, no Anoplura of this family of Carnivora were known in Argentina.
- The Anoplura have, so far as is known, no insects which are parasitic upon them and probably very few enemies, except their hosts.
- This is a sucking louse, order Anoplura, and is a blood feeder on mammals.
anopluran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Three types of anoplurans parasitize human beings, the head louse, the body louse and the pubic louse.
- The sucking lice or the anoplurans have mouthparts fitted for piercing and sucking.
- The tarsi of anoplurans consist of a large claw and a process that acts like a thumb.
Modern Latin (plural), from anoplos 'unarmed' + oura 'tail'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Ano|plura
Definition of Anoplura in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.