noun[mass noun] Geology
- A granular igneous rock composed largely of labradorite or another plagioclase.More example sentences
- Because of the preponderance of the mineral anorthite (a calcium-rich variety of the mineral plagioclase feldspar) this rock type is called anorthosite.
- Coarse-grained anorthosite is the predominant rock type in these bodies.
- The plagioclase crystals would have formed subcircular lenses of anorthosite that punctuated background chromite accumulation.
mid 19th century: from French anorthose 'plagioclase' + -ite1.
More definitions of anorthositeDefinition of anorthosite in:
- The US English dictionary