Definition of anteroom in English:
1An antechamber, typically serving as a waiting room.
- Beethoven claimed to Goethe that he had rapped Rudolph over the knuckles for keeping him waiting in an anteroom, and doubtless the composition lessons became increasingly irksome.
- Instead, in one corner there is the monitor of a closed-circuit television showing the area in front of the entrance, the waiting room, the anteroom and the room itself.
- Upstairs, I go first into the library, a little anteroom off the master bedroom.
1.1 Military A large room in an officers' mess, typically adjacent to the dining room.
- When he walked into Colonel Atkins's anteroom, Atkins was the name of the CO he'd been told, he found a Staff Sergeant sitting behind a desk sipping a cup of coffee like it was the only thing keeping him awake.
- As the formal Anteroom in the mess, it doubles as a smaller, more intimate dining room for official functions.
- Officers live together in their own Mess, complete with anteroom and bar.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India