noun (plural antheridia /-dɪə/)Botany
The male sex organ of algae, mosses, ferns, fungi, and other non-flowering plants.
More example sentences
- Since the asexual gametophyte does not form antheridia or archegonia, crosses to confirm its genotype could not be performed.
- The receptacles are reproductive branches and contain many cavities with external pores which contain antheridia and oogonia, then through meiosis, sperm and egg are produced.
- Notwithstanding their general similarity, the archegonia of mosses differ externally from antheridia in having a longer neck and longer stalk.
- More example sentences
- The oogonial initial penetrates the antheridial initial and rapidly expands to form the oogonium.
- Studies on development of antheridia and antheridial dehiscence have been conducted by Davie and Hartman.
- The latter are much more abundant in the antheridial tufts, where they have somewhat swollen heads.
Definition of antheridium in:
- The US English dictionary