noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A colourless or yellow crystalline compound first obtained by alkaline hydrolysis of indigo.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NH2C6H4COOH
- There have been many studies of the parent acid of this ester, anthranilic acid, (2-aminobenzoic acid).
- During 325 nm irradiation, anthranilic acid is rapidly and irreversibly bleached, while NADH emission undergoes only modest reduction.
- This absorption and emission are consistent with anthranilic acid, which is one of these tryptophan products and which has a particularly high fluorescence quantum yield of approximately 0.5 in organic solvents.
mid 19th century: anthranilic from Greek anthrax 'coal' + anil (being any imine derived from aniline) + -ic.