Definition of anticonvulsant in English:
(Chiefly of a drug) used to prevent or reduce the severity of epileptic fits or other convulsions.
- For decades children were given long term anticonvulsant drugs to prevent the recurrence of febrile seizures.
- Mega-doses of folic acid can produce convulsions, interfere with the anticonvulsant medication used by epileptics, and disrupt zinc absorption.
- The patient tolerated the procedure well and was treated postoperatively with antibiotics, steroids, and anticonvulsant medication.
nounBack to top
An anticonvulsant drug.
- The treatment drugs of choice are anticonvulsants and tricyclic antidepressants.
- Drugs such as corticosteroids, antidepressants and anticonvulsants can also help to alleviate pain.
- These drugs include corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, local anesthetics, and stimulants.
Definition of anticonvulsant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia