Definition of antigen in English:
A toxin or other foreign substance which induces an immune response in the body, especially the production of antibodies.
- All the conjugated peptides were injected together in white rabbits as antigens for antibody production.
- Antibodies are gamma globulins produced by B lymphocytes when antigens enter the body.
- As a result, the patient's immune system would produce antibodies to attack the foreign antigens.
- Example sentences
- This may not be the case with weakly antigenic tumor antigens.
- As one would expect, we found that two different antibodies with different antigenic specificities had different amino acid sequences in the antigen-binding site.
- The very low level of amino acid diversity in antigenic proteins may be cause for optimism in the difficult fight to control global tuberculosis.
Definition of antigen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia