Definition of antipodal in English:
1Relating to or situated on the opposite side of the earth.
- Ancient geographers like Ptolemy presumed that such a place existed, postulating a ‘terra incognita’ that served as an antipodal ballast to their northern land mass.
- I must be brave and not let our antipodal friends see the pain I bear at being denied this priceless entertainment.
- The same antipodal vision persists in the stories collected by David Malouf under the title of Antipodes.
1.1 (antipodal to) Diametrically opposed to.
- This open spatial setting is antipodal to the domestic environs of the healing stories of Peter's mother-in-law and the synagogue leader's daughter.
- Finally, Antarctica is antipodal to the Arctic Ocean, mostly, as if its core had been pushed southward.
- Heard Island is antipodal to the Canadian province of Saskatchewan which was under ice 12,000 years ago.
1.2 Botany Relating to or denoting cells formed at the chalazal end of the embryo sac.
- It is, furthermore, the case that the embryo sac itself also exhibits polar organization, with the egg cell and synergids adjacent to the micropyle, while the antipodal cells are found at the opposite chalazal end.
- Aposporous embryo sacs were identified easily due to the lack of antipodal cells and because they showed varying positions and orientation within the ovule.
- The antipodal cells are much smaller than the other cells of the gametophyte and typically persist beyond anthesis.
Words that rhyme with antipodaltripodal
Definition of antipodal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan