1Relating to or dealing in antiques or rare books: antiquarian booksellers
More example sentences
- He sought out rare and out-of-print books from antiquarian booksellers, including a set of delightful eighteenth-century guidebooks by the York publisher Thomas Gent.
- This will be a full time unit housing books from 12 different antiquarian booksellers around the country.
- The York National Book Fair is an annual event and lays claim to being Britain's largest rare and antiquarian book fair with some 200 booksellers and an estimate of some 100,000 books on offer.
2Relating to the study of antiquities.
- The treatment of fables as vague intimations of Christian doctrine did not disappear even in the most sophisticated antiquarian studies of the sixteenth and the seventeenth centuries.
- To be fair to Isaac, he hastens to assure the reader that ‘the debate cannot be so readily dismissed or relegated to antiquarian study.’
- It argues against the complaint that the study is antiquarian.
A person who studies or collects antiques or antiquities.
- Centuries after sword manufacturing in Hounslow had ceased, some antiquarians began collecting the surviving specimens.
- It was a time when large numbers of women and antiquarians were collecting ceramics, chiefly the refined wares used in America during the colonial and early Federal periods.
- Napoleon has with him scholars, including antiquarians and linguists, whose job it is to unravel the mysteries of ancient Egypt.
- Example sentences
- In its merger of antiquarianism and fantasy, artisanship and magic, the castle neatly sums up the art of its creator, Hayao Miyazaki.
- My interest is no mere trivial and reactionary antiquarianism.
- It is a new antiquarianism, oblivious to any real sense of historical understanding, engagement or critique.
Words that rhyme with antiquarianagrarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: anti|quar¦ian
Definition of antiquarian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.