Definition of antitoxin in English:
An antibody that counteracts a toxin.
- Human science employs somewhat similar procedures to produce what are called antitoxins, protein antibodies, to certain microorganisms.
- Some antibodies are antitoxins, which directly neutralize any toxins secreted by the antigens.
- For example, antitoxins, like tetanus antitoxin, are made by injecting horses with a small amount of the toxin so that the animal produces the antibodies.
- Example sentences
- It is a very important folk medicine in Taiwan, and is reported to have antineoplastic, antitoxic and immunoenhancing properties, as well as for treating malignancies.
- The pharmacological or biochemical mechanism of this antitoxic action has not yet been proved.
- It is also highly potent as an antitoxic agent in exogenous poisoning, organic and inorganic.
Definition of antitoxin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia