(also antivenene /ˌantɪvɪˈniːn/)
Definition of antivenin in English:
An antiserum containing antibodies against specific poisons, especially those in the venom of snakes, spiders, and scorpions.
- Equine-derived antivenin to snake venom has been the mainstay of hospital treatment for venomous snakebite for 35 years.
- Although the mainstay of treatment is definitely antivenin, in district settings where the antivenin is not readily available steroids are helpful.
- The park's venom-milking program is the only supplier of venom to Melbourne's Commonwealth Serum Laboratories - makers of antivenins crucial to treating snakebite victims.
- Example sentences
- Although the Colombian antivenom proved the most effective, all three antivenoms proved suitable for treating snakebite victims in this region
- Antivenoms selected to cover the venomous species known and suspected to be held in the UK are stored in London and Liverpool
- The message is, keep antivenom in stock, or know where to find it fast.
Words that rhyme with antiveninLenin
Definition of antivenin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan