(also antivenene /ˌantɪvɪˈniːn/)
An antiserum containing antibodies against specific poisons, especially those in the venom of snakes, spiders, and scorpions.
More example sentences
- Equine-derived antivenin to snake venom has been the mainstay of hospital treatment for venomous snakebite for 35 years.
- Although the mainstay of treatment is definitely antivenin, in district settings where the antivenin is not readily available steroids are helpful.
- The park's venom-milking program is the only supplier of venom to Melbourne's Commonwealth Serum Laboratories - makers of antivenins crucial to treating snakebite victims.
- More example sentences
- Although the Colombian antivenom proved the most effective, all three antivenoms proved suitable for treating snakebite victims in this region
- Antivenoms selected to cover the venomous species known and suspected to be held in the UK are stored in London and Liverpool
- The message is, keep antivenom in stock, or know where to find it fast.
More definitions of antiveninDefinition of antivenin in:
- The US English dictionary