Definition of antiviral in English:
1 Medicine (Chiefly of a drug or treatment) effective against viruses.
- For infections caused by the chickenpox or herpes viruses, antiviral drugs may be prescribed if the infection is caught early.
- Specific antiviral treatment has been effective in improving the survival of the patients.
- Harms of antiviral treatment may include drug hypersensitivity and renal impairment.
2 Computing (Of software) designed to detect, remove, or offer protection against computer viruses.
- Like the antiviral programs, they will always be reacting to the last exploit, not anticipating the next.
- Users are advised not to open suspicious attachments and to update their antiviral signatures to block the virus.
- Antiviral software cannot possibly keep up.
nounMedicine Back to top
An antiviral drug or medicine.
- And if it is, what they can do is that they they can't give you an antiviral for this.
- We were talking about it in our meeting this morning, the growing of a virus and trying to make an antiviral and all of that.
- Hence a natural anti-viral produced by a plant to defend itself can also be used by a human as an anti-viral.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.