Definition of antrum in English:
noun (plural antra /-trə/)Anatomy
1A natural chamber or cavity in a bone or other anatomical structure.
- Cholesterol granuloma is usually associated with chronic middle ear disease and is common in the mastoid antrum and air cells of the temporal bone.
- Thus removal of a small cholesteatoma may allow for reconstruction of the outer attic wall or creation of a cavity that extends to or just beyond the mastoid antrum.
- It's endoderm ultimately forms the lining of the auditory tube, tympanic cavity and mastoid antrum.
1.1The pyloric end of the stomach.
- Multiple biopsies were taken from the duodenum, the gastric antrum, and the distal esophagus.
- Surgical resection of the antrum and first duodenum was performed.
- The gastroenterologist should map the stomach with adequate sampling of the antrum, corpus, and cardia.
- Example sentences
- Upper endoscopy evaluations of 13 of the rosacea patients revealed that 8 had gastrointestinal disorders including antral gastritis, chronic atrophic gastritis, and duodenal ulcers.
- Endoscopic ultrasonography showed a thickened antral wall with a mass in the gastric antrum.
- Three antral biopsies were obtained within 2-5cm from the pylorus.
Definition of antrum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan