Definition of antrum in English:
noun (plural antra ˈantrə)Anatomy
1A natural chamber or cavity in a bone or other anatomical structure.
- Cholesterol granuloma is usually associated with chronic middle ear disease and is common in the mastoid antrum and air cells of the temporal bone.
- Thus removal of a small cholesteatoma may allow for reconstruction of the outer attic wall or creation of a cavity that extends to or just beyond the mastoid antrum.
- It's endoderm ultimately forms the lining of the auditory tube, tympanic cavity and mastoid antrum.
1.1The pyloric end of the stomach.
- Multiple biopsies were taken from the duodenum, the gastric antrum, and the distal esophagus.
- Surgical resection of the antrum and first duodenum was performed.
- The gastroenterologist should map the stomach with adequate sampling of the antrum, corpus, and cardia.
- Example sentences
- Upper endoscopy evaluations of 13 of the rosacea patients revealed that 8 had gastrointestinal disorders including antral gastritis, chronic atrophic gastritis, and duodenal ulcers.
- Endoscopic ultrasonography showed a thickened antral wall with a mass in the gastric antrum.
- Three antral biopsies were obtained within 2-5cm from the pylorus.
Early 19th century: from Latin, from Greek antron 'cave'.
Definition of antrum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.