- Showing or feeling no interest, enthusiasm, or concern: an apathetic electorateMore example sentences
uninterested, indifferent, unconcerned, unmoved, unresponsive, impassive, passive, detached, uninvolved, disinterested, unfeeling, unemotional, emotionless, dispassionate, lukewarm, cool, uncaring, half-hearted, lackadaisical, non-committal; listless, lethargic, languid, phlegmatic, torpid, supine, inert; bored, unmotivated, unambitious• informal couldn't-care-lessBritish • vulgar slang half-arsed• rare Laodicean, pococurante
- The task at next year's Scottish elections is not only to win a majority but to arouse the enthusiasm of a generally apathetic public.
- The shareholders had also been shown to be apathetic in protecting their interests.
- I spent too much time just coasting and doing nothing and being really apathetic and indifferent.
- More example sentences
- So I'll vote, and I might well vote Labour, if a little apathetically.
- ‘Who knows, who cares,’ Todd said apathetically.
- He glanced apathetically about at the different posters from the 20s and 30s advertising different liquors and cheeses.
mid 18th century: from apathy, on the pattern of pathetic.