1Not periodic; irregular: aperiodic fluctuations
More example sentences
- The activation of the pair-rule genes by the gap genes results in the transformation of the embryonic pattern along the antero-posterior axis from an aperiodic regionalization to a periodic one.
- With respect to the former, suggested population dynamics of cannibals include a variety of regimes such as equilibrium, periodic cycles, aperiodic cycles, and chaotic dynamics.
- Partial aperiodic reinforcement, for example, evokes a rather more persistent response than one might expect, though Skinner would scoff at interpreting such persistence as hope springing eternal.
1.1 Physics Denoting a potentially oscillating or vibrating system (such as an instrument with a pointer) that is damped to prevent oscillation or vibration.
- Aperiodic damping is obtained by means of an aluminium vane.
- Example sentences
- Thus, the aperiodicity was not due to synaptic events but attributable to the activity of voltage-sensitive Na + channels.
- In fact this article could be considered an analysis of the impact of the study of aperiodicity on Hubert's problem.
- A new technique for aperiodicity analysis was designed to meet these more stringent requirements, but even highly sophisticated fundamental frequency analysis procedures 9,10 need further refinement.
Words that rhyme with aperiodicepisodic, geodic, melodic, methodic, monodic, parodic, periodic, prosodic, psalmodic, rhapsodic, Roddick, spasmodic, threnodic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: aperi|odic
Definition of aperiodic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.