- (Of a flower) having no petals.More example sentences
- The flower is apetalous with deciduous sepals.
- Morphological characters include leaves that are not gland-dotted, persistent intrapetiolar stipules, some apetalous species, and a reduction in stamen number in several species.
- Flowers are small, with white petals up to 2.5 mm or often apetalous, and last only a short time.
early 18th century: from modern Latin apetalus, from Greek apetalos 'leafless' (from a- 'without' + petalon 'leaf') + -ous.
More definitions of apetalousDefinition of apetalous in:
- The US English dictionary