Definition of apheresis in English:
noun[mass noun] (plural apheresesɛɪfəˈriːsiːz)
1 Linguistics Omission of the initial sound of a word, as when he is is pronounced he’s.
- In some words initial e has been lost by aphaeresis: squire from esquire, sample from example, state from estate.
- When the indefinite article was being restored to its separate existence, the word ‘atomy’ was falsely coined from ‘anatomy’ through aphaeresis, by the removal of the supposed indefinite article.
2 Medicine A technique by which a particular substance or component is removed from the blood, the main volume being returned to the body.
- Another method used for separating out some of the components of blood consists of a technique known as apheresis.
- Removing blood stem cells from your blood during apheresis doesn't hurt.
- Platelets collected by apheresis were counted as single units.
Definition of apheresis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.