Definition of aplasia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
The failure of an organ or tissue to develop or to function normally.
- At the time of aplasia, the child with sickle cell disease is highly contagious.
- Because this disease is virtually always fatal due to the profound bone marrow aplasia, management is not well defined and is rarely successful.
- Transplants of stem cells from either the same person or another person are used to repopulate and regenerate the bone marrow, ‘rescuing’ the patient from aplasia.
- Example sentences
- Common problems in children include febrile events, acute chest syndrome, sequestration crisis, and aplastic episodes due to infection with parvovirus.
- A team of 16 nursing staff deal with about 35 donor transplants a year for patients with different types of leukaemia, thalassaemia and aplastic anaemias who come from West, North and East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire.
- Also infection can produce severe anaemia and an aplastic crisis in people with sickle-cell anaemia or other abnormalities of haemoglobin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan