1 (often the Apocalypse) The complete final destruction of the world, as described in the biblical book of Revelation: the bell’s ringing is supposed to usher in the Apocalypse
More example sentences
- Unless you count the first two signs of The Apocalypse that suddenly appeared during the course of the day.
- The batty old lady had made the mistake of incurring the wrath of the Riders of the Apocalypse, and she paid for that within the second.
- The Apocalypse was drawing near and all he could do to stop it was kill.
2An event involving destruction or damage on a catastrophic scale: the apocalypse of World War II
More example sentences
- As ever, Roth has the ability to suggest a vast historical catastrophe through the tiny apocalypses of ordinary life, which he renders with all of Baudelaire's poetic acuity.
- They say an apocalypse is coming and, after so much destruction, many suspect it has already started.
- These modernist writers wrote at what they took to be a moment of transition, between two apocalypses, one historical - and thus merely destructive - and one to be imagined.
Old English, via Old French and ecclesiastical Latin from Greek apokalupsis, from apokaluptein 'uncover, reveal', from apo- 'un-' + kaluptein 'to cover'.
the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Four allegorical mounted figures, commonly identified as Pestilence (or Conquest), War, Famine, and Death, whose arrival heralds the end of the world, as described in the biblical book of Revelation.More example sentences
- A widower forensics expert (Dennis Quaid) investigates perverse serial killings with a Biblical link to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
- In a column a few days ago I mentioned the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one of whom is Pestilence.
- That is scarier than any horse that any of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse could ever mount.
- Used to refer to people or phenomena seen as agents of imminent catastrophe: in 2003, the airline industry survived the four horsemen of the apocalypseMore example sentences
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are standing off in the distance, giggling at us.
- Whether they were being ridden by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse would no doubt be revealed at Filbert Street this afternoon.
- The end of the world seemed nigh and I fancy I saw the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse in the starting stalls.
Definition of apocalypse in:
- The US English dictionary