- (Of a flower, fruit, or ovary) having distinct carpels that are not joined together. Often contrasted with syncarpous.More example sentences
- Early angiosperm fruits were apocarpous, with several free carpels.
- Flowers are apocarpous, with the stigmas borne at the end of a long style.
- The first bifurcation is shortly above the transition from the syncarpous to the apocarpous zone, the second bifurcation is somewhat higher up.
More definitions of apocarpousDefinition of apocarpous in:
- The US English dictionary