noun[treated as singular or plural]
- Reasoned arguments or writings in justification of something, typically a theory or religious doctrine: apologetics for the slave trade are quite out of orderMore example sentences
- I can't read Lewis now; I devoured him as a young man, as a young priest, I loved his kind of argumentative certainties, his apologetics; can't stand it now.
- The methods of apologetics outlined above - natural theology and history - are primarily scientific.
- Various forms of theistic apologetics serve this function (among others).
mid 18th century: from apologetic.
More definitions of apologeticsDefinition of apologetics in:
- The US English dictionary