- (In Christian thought) the uninterrupted transmission of spiritual authority from the Apostles through successive popes and bishops, taught by the Roman Catholic Church but denied by most Protestants.More example sentences
- This they affirmed to be the very body of Christ, the locus of holiness, the society of saints, guaranteed by the unquestioned apostolic succession of their bishops.
- After discovering it myself and being ordained in it and now a consecrated Catholic archbishop in valid apostolic succession like any Roman Catholic bishop, I have found true joy.
- The Church is built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets and there are no apostles and prophets today nor is there any such thing as an apostolic succession.
More definitions of apostolic successionDefinition of apostolic succession in:
- The US English dictionary