noun (plural apothecaries)• archaic
- A person who prepared and sold medicines and drugs.More example sentences
- The growing presence of everyday medical practitioners, like apothecaries and druggists, made magic obsolete.
- Apothecary planes were used by pharmacists or apothecaries to cut botanical materials into medically usable sizes.
- The purpose of the Medical Society of London was to provide a meeting place and forum for physicians, surgeons, and apothecaries to present papers and patients and to discuss matters of interest.
late Middle English: via Old French from late Latin apothecarius, from Latin apotheca, from Greek apothēkē 'storehouse'.
More definitions of apothecaryDefinition of apothecary in:
- The US English dictionary