nounLaw , chiefly US
- The defending party in a case taken to a higher court.More example sentences
- Indeed, appellees conceded as much at oral argument.
- On Tuesday, a panel of the Third Circuit reversed and remanded an order of a district court judge who had simply copied verbatim the appellee's proposed opinion in the case.
- The appellees in the case asked the Supreme Court to dismiss the case without a ruling, considering the fact that all African American tenants had moved from the premises.
mid 16th century: from French appelé, past participle of appeler 'call'. from Latin appellare 'to address' (see appeal).
More definitions of appelleeDefinition of appellee in:
- The US English dictionary