Definition of apple pie in English:
1A pie made with apples.
- For dessert the apple pie a la mode with ice-cream proved a firm favourite with my companion after fending off tough competition from the fresh fruit pavlova.
- With the offer of dessert, Madame went for the apple pie and ice cream, which arrived in a huge bowl - and was ceremoniously eaten to the last morsel.
- In fact, I'm going to reward myself now, by having done 165 extra words today by eating a whole apple pie or big sticky toffee pudding.
1.1 [mass noun] North American Used to represent a cherished ideal of homeliness: to say I’m fed up with the Olympics is like being against motherhood and apple pie
More example sentences
- Like motherhood and apple pie, policing is something a city can't help but get behind - philosophically and financially.
- This statement, with its aspects of ‘motherhood and apple pie,’ is one I fully agree with.
- For some politicians, it's as easy as a vote for motherhood and apple pie.
- A bed which, as a practical joke, has been made with one of the sheets folded back on itself so that a person’s legs cannot be stretched out.Example sentences
- An apple-pie bed is nothing; pinches, kicks, boxed ears, twisted arms, pulled hair, ghosts at night, inky books, befouled photographs, amount to very little by themselves.
- Afterwards, the Middles go to bed but play tricks, such as apple-pie beds, on the Seniors.
- And, while making apple-pie beds doubtless never occurred to anyone, here, at least, was a place with a strong sense of community.
- Perfect order or neatness: everything was in apple-pie orderMore example sentences
- She had her semantics in apple-pie order, and emerged if not unsoiled, then at least unbloodied.
- And each evening, just before retiring, he is likewise compelled ‘to arrange his materials for work’ the next morning ‘in apple-pie order upon a commodious table’ across from his bed.
- Whether or not you use an accountant or bookkeeper to help you with your accounts and tax, you must keep all your business records in apple-pie order.
as American as apple pie
- North American Typically American in character: they have made violence as American as apple pieMore example sentences
- If violence, as the saying goes, is as American as apple pie, it's also been as common in American movie theaters as popcorn.
- French fries are at least as American as apple pie.
- Ironically, financially, and in terms of their behavior, they're often as American as apple pie.
Definition of apple pie in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia