Definition of apprehend in English:
- Let's remember that we were never apprehended, arrested, charged or deported.
- During the follow-up interviews, one subject admitted that he was apprehended via an arrest warrant.
- According to reports, an off-duty police officer tried to intervene and was struck by the robber before he was apprehended and arrested.
- He posits that ‘understandings can only be apprehended and appreciated if they are performed by a student’.
- It is only through the force of the emotionally apprehended that he can perceive the world.
- But what controls and regulates feeling will be a wider web of feelings, which reason helps us apprehend and understand, not any reason holding authority over all feelings.
- He admitted that some people had left the city some time back apprehending communal violence, but there is no such fear now.
- The district administration apprehending trouble immediately clamped curfew in the district.
- Information gathered by them revealed that he was persuaded to cancel his visit today by the state government as it apprehended major controversy.
prison from (Old English):
This comes via Old French from Latin prehendere ‘to seize’. Prehendere is a rich source of English words, being found, amongst many, in apprehend (late 16th century), comprehend (late 16th century); prehensile (late 18th century); and reprehensible (Late Middle English). A shortening of prehendere lies behind praedari ‘plunder’ and praeda ‘booty’, which lie behind depredation (Late Middle English); predatory [L16]; and prey (Middle English).
Words that rhyme with apprehendamend, append, ascend, attend, befriend, bend, blend, blende, commend, comprehend, condescend, contend, defriend, depend, emend, end, expend, extend, fend, forfend, friend, impend, interdepend, lend, mend, misapprehend, misspend, offend, on-trend, Oostende, Ostend, perpend, portend, rend, reprehend, scrag-end, send, spend, subtend, suspend, tail end, tend, transcend, trend, underspend, unfriend, upend, vend, weekend, wend
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.