1 Architecture In the form of or resembling an apse.
- The apsidal hall has a small tower over its end to give the appearance of height.
- He also rounded the projecting east wing, giving it an apsidal configuration.
- Early in the 12th century the church was enlarged, and provided with a fashionable apsidal chancel.
2 Astronomy Relating to an apsis.
- An apsidal motion with a period of 80.7 years was confirmed and a third body in an eccentric orbit with a period of 85.4 years was found.
- Thus, if at an apse the direction of velocity is reversed, it will trace a symmetrical orbit on the other side of the apsidal distance.
- Apsidal motion is one of the classical diagnostics of stellar structure.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ap|sidal
Definition of apsidal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.