- (Of an insect) having no wings.More example sentences
- The presence of a fundatrix, the numbers of soldiers, nonsoldier nymphs, apterous adults (all instars), and alates were recorded.
- Prey items were separated into morphotypes based on order, life stage (adult/larva), and in the case of Hymenoptera, apterous or winged.
- As originally described, Liassothrips is either a nymph or an apterous adult.
late 18th century: from Greek apteros (from a- 'without' + pteron 'wing') + -ous.
More definitions of apterousDefinition of apterous in:
- The US English dictionary