Definition of aquaponics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
A system of aquaculture in which the waste produced by farmed fish or other aquatic creatures supplies the nutrients for plants grown hydroponically, which in turn purify the water: thanks to its automatic recirculating system, aquaponics does not require much monitoring or measuring
More example sentences
- Still in its infancy, aquaponics is following a steady upward growth curve.
- Although aquaponics is seen primarily as providing a valuable twin crop for commercial hydroponic growers, Chapman says the dual system is also an opportunity for backyard hobbyists
- A new indoor fish-growing and aquaponics facility will enable inmates to grow fish for meals and produce fertilizer that will allow them to grow produce year-round.
- Example sentences
- The project provides entrepreneur training, startup assistance, and regional marketing for future "aquaponic" operations in eastern Kentucky.
- The barge also features some aquaponic techniques, which rely on the natural give and take between creatures and plants.
- Their aquaponic greenhouses would be built in vacant lots and on rooftops.
Definition of aquaponics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.