- A body of permeable rock which can contain or transmit groundwater.More example sentences
- Because of the long residence times typical of most bodies of groundwater, contaminated aquifers are not readily restored by natural processes.
- Groundwater is found at varying depths underneath the earth's surface, in permeable rocks known as aquifers which are saturated by the infiltration of rainfall.
- The movement of saline water into freshwater aquifers, or saltwater intrusion, is usually caused by ground water pumping from coastal wells.
early 20th century: from Latin aqui- (from aqua 'water') + -fer 'bearing'.
More definitions of aquiferDefinition of aquifer in:
- The US English dictionary