- A sharp mountain ridge.More example sentences
- I came of age on John Muir's trail, climbing sharp arêtes, domed cliffs and the U-shaped valleys between.
- Mature alpine landscapes exhibit many of the ‘classic’ features of glaciation, including troughs, hanging valleys, truncated spurs, and narrow arêtes rising to narrow rock peaks.
- The first is a rope climb down into a pool which culminates in a nasty little overhang; this is followed immediately by a superbly rigged rope-climb down an arête; and the third is a three metre climb.
early 19th century: from French, from Latin arista 'ear of corn, fish bone, spine'.
More definitions of arêteDefinition of arête in:
- The US English dictionary