verb[with object] (usually as adjective Arabized)
Give (someone or something) an Arab or Arabic character: an Arabized script
More example sentences
- The Arab invasion in the 7th century brought with it many Arab soldiers who settled there and who slowly Arabized the country and converted most of its inhabitants to Islam.
- In its street forms, rai operates in France to keep a community of former North African residents connected; in Algeria it operated for a time as a Berber nationalist medium against the Islamicizing, Arabizing currents.
- Most Arabs in that area had been settled there in an attempt to Arabize the north.
- Example sentences
- It also raises the question of the status of Arabic: Arabization is advocated by the authors of the Report, but without exposing its difficulties nor its benefits.
- The revivification of Palestinian identity has become a part of Palestinian Christian consciousness: ‘The Arabization of the Christian churches, which began with their leaders, has spread to include theology and education.’
- Laws in the 1990s required the Arabization of secondary school and higher education, and made Arabic the only legal language in government and politics.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Arab|ize
Definition of Arabize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.