noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A polyunsaturated fatty acid present in animal fats. It is important in metabolism, especially in the synthesis of prostaglandins and leukotrienes, and is an essential constituent of the diet.
- Alternative name: eicosa-5,8,11,14-enoic acid; chemical formula: C19H31COOH
More example sentences
- Those essential nutrients - including taurine, arachidonic acid, and vitamin A - abound in meat.
- Psoriatic plaques have been shown to increase arachidonic acid and leukotriene levels compared to normal skin.
- The fats in animal products break down into arachidonic acid, a pro-inflammatory fatty acid.
Definition of arachidonic acid in:
- The US English dictionary