Like a spider or arachnid: intelligent arachnoid killing machines
More example sentences
- Watching the erstwhile nerd get used to his muscular new body and powers - accidentally firing off webs and finding things sticking to his arachnoid hands - is one of the most engaging parts of the film.
- Results-wise, it's difficult to extrapolate from inferred arachnoid motivations to the human mental-state.
- Their words paralyze me like the bite of an arachnoid.
(also arachnoid membrane) Anatomy A fine, delicate membrane, the middle one of the three membranes or meninges that surround the brain and spinal cord, situated between the dura mater and the pia mater.
- Between the pia and arachnoid membranes is the subarachnoid space, in which the cerebrospinal fluid circulates.
- The lining consists of three layers - dura, arachnoid and pia.
- The surgeon opens the arachnoid membrane dorsal to the seventh and eighth nerves and continues the opening upward to the fourth nerve.
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin arachnoides, from Greek arakhnoeidēs 'like a cobweb', from arakhnē 'spider'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: arach|noid
Definition of arachnoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.