- A crossbow with a special mechanism for drawing back and releasing the string.More example sentences
- A crossbow device, larger than an arbalest but smaller than a ballista, was called a scorpion.
- Bahzell unloaded the arbalest and released the string with a snap while he waded through the grass.
- There was a shout of triumph as the carpenters struggling with the recalcitrant arbalest finally managed to string the bow.
Old English arblast, from Old French arbaleste, from late Latin arcubalista, from Latin arcus 'bow' + ballista (see ballista).
More definitions of arbalestDefinition of arbalest in:
- The US English dictionary