- The numbering of years is a cultural artifact based on some rather arbitrary decisions made along the way.
- I prefer to have my laws built on reason rather than arbitrary morality.
- This numbering system is an arbitrary designation based on small amino acid sequence differences.
- These kings have not unlimited or arbitrary power, and the generals do more by example than by authority.
- By the time of the Revolution, the standing army had become a symbol of repressive authority and arbitrary rule.
- Freedom from arbitrary power is a great good - but so is the avoidance of anarchy.
- In contemporary frameworks, the rule of generalization invokes a singular term, the arbitrary constant introduced into the text.
- How you can tell whether a binary number of arbitrary size is divisible by 10 without looking at the whole number?
- He defined differential operators of arbitrary order D t.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'dependent on one's will or pleasure, discretionary'): from Latin arbitrarius, from arbiter 'judge, supreme ruler', perhaps influenced by French arbitraire.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ar¦bi|trary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.