- The numbering of years is a cultural artifact based on some rather arbitrary decisions made along the way.
- I prefer to have my laws built on reason rather than arbitrary morality.
- This numbering system is an arbitrary designation based on small amino acid sequence differences.
- These kings have not unlimited or arbitrary power, and the generals do more by example than by authority.
- By the time of the Revolution, the standing army had become a symbol of repressive authority and arbitrary rule.
- Freedom from arbitrary power is a great good - but so is the avoidance of anarchy.
- In contemporary frameworks, the rule of generalization invokes a singular term, the arbitrary constant introduced into the text.
- How you can tell whether a binary number of arbitrary size is divisible by 10 without looking at the whole number?
- He defined differential operators of arbitrary order D t.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'dependent on one's will or pleasure, discretionary'): from Latin arbitrarius, from arbiter 'judge, supreme ruler', perhaps influenced by French arbitraire.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.