1An axle or spindle on which something revolves.
- The third step is to mount the wheels on the arbors and to place these assemblies between the front- and backplates in such a way that the wheels and pinions mesh and turn freely.
- The indenter was secured into the arbor of a milling machine.
- The bushing is secured in place by a solid arbor that passes through the front of the frame, through the middle of the bushing and is locked in place by the pivoting barrel and ejector rod.
1.1A device holding a tool in a lathe.
- Each shooter's tool kit contains loading dies, a small arbor press and a powder measure capable of being adjusted to throw precise charges.
- Technician A says unless the job is done with an arbor press the tone wheel is likely to become deformed.
Mid 17th century: from French arbre 'tree, axis'. The spelling change was due to association with Latin arbor 'tree'.
Words that rhyme with arborAnnaba, arbour, barber, Barbour, harbour (US harbor), indaba, Kaaba, Lualaba, Pearl Harbor, Saba, Sabah, Shaba