- 1Living in trees: arboreal rodentsMore example sentences
- The Siberian flying squirrel is a nocturnal arboreal rodent, which nests in tree cavities, twig dreys, and nest-boxes.
- The authors remind us that no living primate has such hands and feet ‘for any purpose other than to meet the demands of full or part-time arboreal (tree dwelling) life.’
- Within the ground beetle family, a few eat seeds, a few concentrate near water, and some readily climb trees and consume arboreal insects, including aphids and forest tent caterpillars.
- 1.1Relating to trees.More example sentences
- With nearly 1,100 species of indigenous trees, South Africa is extremely rich in arboreal diversity.
- More than 800 people saw a pre-festival viewing of the one-hour documentary that showcases American history through the stories of 21 historic arboreal treasures.
- On the steep bluffs north of downtown Seattle grows an impressive array of what is arguably the Pacific Northwest's most beautiful arboreal treasures: the Pacific madrone.
- More example sentences
- But both types of features were already present in larger non-avian theropods that neither climbed nor flew, and the claw and foot proportions of Archaeopteryx do not argue for arboreality any more than for grounddwelling.
- There is no persuasive evidence indicating arboreality in dromaeosaurs, although that negative evidence does not preclude arboreality altogether.
- We cannot rule out the possibility that a dromaeosaurid could climb a tree, but none of them show obvious modifications specifically for arboreality.
mid 17th century: from Latin arboreus, from arbor 'tree', + -al.
More definitions of arborealDefinition of arboreal in:
- The US English dictionary