Definition of arcane in English:
Understood by few; mysterious or secret: arcane procedures for electing people
More example sentences
- The compact libretto used less of the flowery, arcane language that once had seemed a requisite of high style.
- This is not a task to be undertaken lightly: the language is convoluted and arcane.
- Here at least, the lyrics are quite clear and not concealed beneath some arcane reference.
mid 16th century: from Latin arcanus, from arcere 'to shut up', from arca 'chest'.
- Example sentences
- She had picked up some tips from her father: watch the wool market because it indicates when a Depression is coming; or, more arcanely, keep an eye out for two sure signs that war is on the way: clothes become drab and women wear boots.
- The legacy of those years is thousands of albums cluttering up our apartment, arcanely filed and catalogued.
- Thus the big toe has been given some recognition, albeit arcanely, as a special digit.