Definition of archaeomagnetism in English:
Magnetism possessed by components of clay and rocks which have in the past been heated above a certain temperature. The orientation and intensity of this remanent magnetism was fixed by the earth’s magnetic field when the material cooled, and can be used to study the earth’s magnetism and as a method of geological and archaeological dating.
- On a more personal note, Dan and I had an ongoing dialogue about our mutual interest in archaeomagnetism.
- The science of archaeomagnetism has been developed throughout this century as a means of applying paleomagnetic methods and theory to archaeological problems.
- The most useful is paleomagnetism and the sub-discipline of archeomagnetism.
- Example sentences
- The settlement contains the earliest known securely-dated pottery kiln in Britain, dated by archaeomagnetic methods to between 20 BC and 40 AD.
- We also have a number of more specialized items, such as tree-ring and archeomagnetic sampling kits.
- As stones are not suitable for archaeomagnetic dating, the baked clay lining the kiln walls was sampled.