- 1Give (an artistic work) an old-fashioned flavour by using archaic words or styles.More example sentences
- He began by archaizing the linear idiom of Cu Kaizhi and went on experimenting with both Dong Yuan's hemp-fiber brush idiom and the Li Cheng - Guo Xi idiom of devil-face and crab-claw brush patterns.
- True enough, but then one must ask how an Attic vase painter limited to an awkward bichrome technique could convey a difference, short of archaizing the statues, which is the route usually taken.
- Because Gauguin simplified and archaized the figures, he did not sully the dignity of the four Arlesian women arrayed as if in ritual procession.
- 1.1 [no object] Use archaic words or styles in an artistic work.More example sentences
- The language in Atistia's epitaph is archaizing, as is the language used on the three other sides of the monument.
mid 19th century: from Greek arkhaizein, from arkhaios 'ancient' (see Archaean).