noun (plural archegonia /-ɪə/)Botany
- The female sex organ in mosses, liverworts, ferns, and most conifers.More example sentences
- Antheridia formed on the dorsal and ventral surfaces of the wing, while archegonia formed on the ventral surface of the anterior cushion.
- Dispersed by wind, these small spores germinate into small, freeliving, disc-shaped gametophytes that produce either archegonia - organs in which egg cells are formed - or sperm-producing antheridia.
- Notwithstanding their general similarity, the archegonia of mosses differ externally from antheridia in having a longer neck and longer stalk.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek arkhegonos, from arkhe- 'chief' + gonos 'race'.
More definitions of archegoniumDefinition of archegonium in:
- The US English dictionary