- 1Very typical of a certain kind of person or thing: the archetypal country doctorMore example sentences
- Tango Siempre can do passion, drama, melancholy beauty and sentimentality, and their approach is more like that of a classical ensemble than an archetypal world-music outfit.
- Newer ones, like the one in Watchet, are built of bricks and mortar but the archetypal model is the ubiquitous wooden structure.
- Dotted with tiny fishing villages, it is the archetypal Caribbean paradise, with glistening white beaches that go on forever and emerald green waters where local fishermen haul in the most exotic array of fish.
- 1.1Relating to or denoting an original which has been imitated: archetypal mythsMore example sentences
- European myths settle on archetypal characters and events, stories rich in metaphor and allusion that weave deep meaning from past epics into the activities of everyday life.
- Luther was for them the archetypal Christian believer.
- Stephen Crites calls these archetypal myths sacred stories.
- 2Relating to or denoting Jungian archetypes.More example sentences
- He has published many articles in the areas of archetypal and Jungian psychology, mythology and the arts.
- This traumatic history leads to bouts of depression and insanity, and it takes the intervention of psychotherapy and Jungian archetypal analysis to bring to her consciousness the roots of her suffering.
- Oh, also, I want to write a fun little article about the heavy presence of Jung's archetypal figure, the anima, in video games.
- 3Recurrent as a symbol or motif in literature, art, or mythology: an archetypal journey representing the quest for identityMore example sentences
- The recurrent motifs are archetypal of the period.
- Joseph Campbell, the well-known writer on mythology and comparative religion, identified twelve stages in the archetypal hero's journey.
- The archetypal image in western literature is the journey of a man like Ulysses whose long trials and tribulations lead to arriving home older, braver, and wiser.
- More example sentences
- This tiny model carved from ivory symbolises the rebirth, or resurrection, that follows death or archetypally, all that is human.
- The vaulted dining room on the ground-floor of a Renaissance palazzo is archetypally Florentine, with its white walls and grey cornices of pietra serena.
- Tony Smith's work is all angles and crisp edges and, from the vantage point of the 21st century, archetypally masculine in form.