- 1The art or practice of designing and constructing buildings: schools of architecture and designMore example sentences
- Tom Low practices architecture and town planning in the Carolinas.
- The award recognizes his collective works and his influence on the theory and practice of architecture.
- It has terrific links to all sorts of things from architects and architecture to straw bale construction.
- 1.1The style in which a building is designed and constructed, especially with regard to a specific period, place, or culture: Georgian architectureMore example sentences
building style, design, structure, construction, framework
- The art deco movement became a dominant style in art, architecture and design during the 1920s and '30s.
- This building is a fine example of the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture, a British Imperial hybrid.
- The other distinctive style of architecture is known as Manueline, after King Manuel I.
- 2The complex or carefully designed structure of something: the chemical architecture of the human brainMore example sentences
- This disparity creates an interesting dichotomy within the complex architecture of the album.
- In short, what is the chemical architecture of the brain and the mind that emerges from it?
- The architecture of the human body is obviously wondrous but not infallible.
- 2.1The conceptual structure and logical organization of a computer or computer-based system.More example sentences
- Von Neumann architecture required that a computer do one thing, then the next, and on through the program.
- There is a paradigm shift between open systems and mainframe architecture.
- The libraries then take care of the details of mapping it to the super computer architecture.
- More example sentences
- The city's architectural history reflects this tug-of-war between past and present.
- Castledermot attracts a lot of tourists who visit the architectural remains in the area.
- It is truly spectacular and an architectural triumph, situated as it is in such spacious surroundings.
- More example sentences
- The space around the building will be architecturally landscaped - its surfaces will be a combination of gravelled, decked and paved elements.
- Finland's capital is architecturally rich and easy to tour on foot and by tram, including the transit loop that passes most of the important sites.
- The memorial is architecturally undistinguished, resembling one of the giant new suburban houses common in the United States.
mid 16th century: from Latin architectura, from architectus (see architect).