Definition of archivolt in English:
1A band of mouldings round the lower curve of an arch.
- In the Romanesque and Gothic styles, the archivolt frames the tympanum, a richly sculpted panel.
- The imposts of the ground-storey piers were simplified and the moulded archivolts were omitted.
- The recessed entry is located in the tower, and has a round arch with decorative archivolt molding.
1.1The lower curve of an arch from impost to impost of the columns.
- The archivolt is comprised of two arches.
- Construction technique, the way the ashlars are worked and the profiles of an archivolt are the only means of dating the discovered walls, and thus the entire building.
- The windows along the south side, which appear from without to be four-centred Gothic arches, are in fact round-headed, with classical archivolts and keystones.
Mid 17th century: from French archivolte or Italian archivolto, based on Latin arcus 'bow, arch' + volvere 'to roll'.
Definition of archivolt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.